Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells During Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland

Joyce A. O'shaughnessy, Kenneth H. Cowan, Arthur W. Nienhuis, Kevin T. Mcdonagh, Brian P. Sorrentino, Cynthia E. Dunbar, Yawen Chiang, Wyndham Wilson, Barry Goldspiel, David Kohler, Michele Cottler-Fox, Susan Leitman, Michael Gottesman, Ira Pastan, Andrea Denicoff, Marianne Noone, Ronald Gress

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

70 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells during Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Patients with metastatic breast cancer will receive 4–5 cycles of induction chemotherapy on one of the ongoing Medicine Branch protocols. Patients achieving at least a partial response, and who do not have evidence of bone marrow involvement and who do not have metastatic bone disease, will undergo PBSC and bone marrow harvest when hematologic recovery has occurred. Patients who have not achieved a PR, but who are responding to therapy, may be treated with additional cycles of therapy in an attempt to achieve a PR. Such patients will be eligible for transplant if a PR is obtained. 70% of the bone marrow and PBSC will be cryopreserved. The CD34+ subpopulation from the remaining 30% of the bone marrow and PBSC harvest will be obtained using an anti-CD34+ antibody and immunoabsorption column. The bone marrow and peripheral blood CD34 cells will be transduced with a retroviral vector expressing the human MDR-1 cDNA. Patients with positive bone scans or histologic evidence of bone marrow involvement will be excluded from the gene transfer component of the protocol. The MDR-1 transduced CD34 cells will be reinfused along with the non-transduced bone marrow and PBSC into patients following high dose ICE chemotherapy. Serial peripheral blood and bone marrow samples will be obtained to study hematopoietic reconstitution with MDR-1 transduced cells. Patients with residual or progressive disease after ABMT will be treated with taxol or vinblastine. In these relapsed patients, peripheral blood and bone marrow samples will be obtained to study whether chemotherapy amplifies the proportion of hematopoietic cells containing the MDR-1 provirus. We will monitor the nadir blood counts of each patient receiving salvage chemotherapy for evidence of myeloprotection and correlate this data with changes in the mean proviral copy number. Sites of relapsed tumor will be biopsied to test for the presence of the MDR-1 provirus.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)891-911
Number of pages21
JournalHuman gene therapy
Volume5
Issue number7
DOIs
StatePublished - Jul 1 1994

Fingerprint

MDR Genes
Autologous Transplantation
National Institutes of Health (U.S.)
Hematopoietic Stem Cells
Bone Marrow
Breast Neoplasms
Drug Therapy
Proviruses
Gene Components
Induction Chemotherapy
Vinblastine
Bone Diseases
Paclitaxel
Anti-Idiotypic Antibodies
Blood Cells
Complementary DNA
Medicine
Transplants
Bone and Bones

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Molecular Medicine
  • Molecular Biology
  • Genetics

Cite this

Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells During Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland. / O'shaughnessy, Joyce A.; Cowan, Kenneth H.; Nienhuis, Arthur W.; Mcdonagh, Kevin T.; Sorrentino, Brian P.; Dunbar, Cynthia E.; Chiang, Yawen; Wilson, Wyndham; Goldspiel, Barry; Kohler, David; Cottler-Fox, Michele; Leitman, Susan; Gottesman, Michael; Pastan, Ira; Denicoff, Andrea; Noone, Marianne; Gress, Ronald.

In: Human gene therapy, Vol. 5, No. 7, 01.07.1994, p. 891-911.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

O'shaughnessy, JA, Cowan, KH, Nienhuis, AW, Mcdonagh, KT, Sorrentino, BP, Dunbar, CE, Chiang, Y, Wilson, W, Goldspiel, B, Kohler, D, Cottler-Fox, M, Leitman, S, Gottesman, M, Pastan, I, Denicoff, A, Noone, M & Gress, R 1994, 'Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells During Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland', Human gene therapy, vol. 5, no. 7, pp. 891-911. https://doi.org/10.1089/hum.1994.5.7-891
O'shaughnessy, Joyce A. ; Cowan, Kenneth H. ; Nienhuis, Arthur W. ; Mcdonagh, Kevin T. ; Sorrentino, Brian P. ; Dunbar, Cynthia E. ; Chiang, Yawen ; Wilson, Wyndham ; Goldspiel, Barry ; Kohler, David ; Cottler-Fox, Michele ; Leitman, Susan ; Gottesman, Michael ; Pastan, Ira ; Denicoff, Andrea ; Noone, Marianne ; Gress, Ronald. / Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells During Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland. In: Human gene therapy. 1994 ; Vol. 5, No. 7. pp. 891-911.
@article{25b500fac10e42eba7680937890966cf,
title = "Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells During Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland",
abstract = "Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells during Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Patients with metastatic breast cancer will receive 4–5 cycles of induction chemotherapy on one of the ongoing Medicine Branch protocols. Patients achieving at least a partial response, and who do not have evidence of bone marrow involvement and who do not have metastatic bone disease, will undergo PBSC and bone marrow harvest when hematologic recovery has occurred. Patients who have not achieved a PR, but who are responding to therapy, may be treated with additional cycles of therapy in an attempt to achieve a PR. Such patients will be eligible for transplant if a PR is obtained. 70{\%} of the bone marrow and PBSC will be cryopreserved. The CD34+ subpopulation from the remaining 30{\%} of the bone marrow and PBSC harvest will be obtained using an anti-CD34+ antibody and immunoabsorption column. The bone marrow and peripheral blood CD34 cells will be transduced with a retroviral vector expressing the human MDR-1 cDNA. Patients with positive bone scans or histologic evidence of bone marrow involvement will be excluded from the gene transfer component of the protocol. The MDR-1 transduced CD34 cells will be reinfused along with the non-transduced bone marrow and PBSC into patients following high dose ICE chemotherapy. Serial peripheral blood and bone marrow samples will be obtained to study hematopoietic reconstitution with MDR-1 transduced cells. Patients with residual or progressive disease after ABMT will be treated with taxol or vinblastine. In these relapsed patients, peripheral blood and bone marrow samples will be obtained to study whether chemotherapy amplifies the proportion of hematopoietic cells containing the MDR-1 provirus. We will monitor the nadir blood counts of each patient receiving salvage chemotherapy for evidence of myeloprotection and correlate this data with changes in the mean proviral copy number. Sites of relapsed tumor will be biopsied to test for the presence of the MDR-1 provirus.",
author = "O'shaughnessy, {Joyce A.} and Cowan, {Kenneth H.} and Nienhuis, {Arthur W.} and Mcdonagh, {Kevin T.} and Sorrentino, {Brian P.} and Dunbar, {Cynthia E.} and Yawen Chiang and Wyndham Wilson and Barry Goldspiel and David Kohler and Michele Cottler-Fox and Susan Leitman and Michael Gottesman and Ira Pastan and Andrea Denicoff and Marianne Noone and Ronald Gress",
year = "1994",
month = "7",
day = "1",
doi = "10.1089/hum.1994.5.7-891",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "5",
pages = "891--911",
journal = "Human Gene Therapy",
issn = "1043-0342",
publisher = "Mary Ann Liebert Inc.",
number = "7",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells During Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Metastatic Breast Cancer. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland

AU - O'shaughnessy, Joyce A.

AU - Cowan, Kenneth H.

AU - Nienhuis, Arthur W.

AU - Mcdonagh, Kevin T.

AU - Sorrentino, Brian P.

AU - Dunbar, Cynthia E.

AU - Chiang, Yawen

AU - Wilson, Wyndham

AU - Goldspiel, Barry

AU - Kohler, David

AU - Cottler-Fox, Michele

AU - Leitman, Susan

AU - Gottesman, Michael

AU - Pastan, Ira

AU - Denicoff, Andrea

AU - Noone, Marianne

AU - Gress, Ronald

PY - 1994/7/1

Y1 - 1994/7/1

N2 - Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells during Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Patients with metastatic breast cancer will receive 4–5 cycles of induction chemotherapy on one of the ongoing Medicine Branch protocols. Patients achieving at least a partial response, and who do not have evidence of bone marrow involvement and who do not have metastatic bone disease, will undergo PBSC and bone marrow harvest when hematologic recovery has occurred. Patients who have not achieved a PR, but who are responding to therapy, may be treated with additional cycles of therapy in an attempt to achieve a PR. Such patients will be eligible for transplant if a PR is obtained. 70% of the bone marrow and PBSC will be cryopreserved. The CD34+ subpopulation from the remaining 30% of the bone marrow and PBSC harvest will be obtained using an anti-CD34+ antibody and immunoabsorption column. The bone marrow and peripheral blood CD34 cells will be transduced with a retroviral vector expressing the human MDR-1 cDNA. Patients with positive bone scans or histologic evidence of bone marrow involvement will be excluded from the gene transfer component of the protocol. The MDR-1 transduced CD34 cells will be reinfused along with the non-transduced bone marrow and PBSC into patients following high dose ICE chemotherapy. Serial peripheral blood and bone marrow samples will be obtained to study hematopoietic reconstitution with MDR-1 transduced cells. Patients with residual or progressive disease after ABMT will be treated with taxol or vinblastine. In these relapsed patients, peripheral blood and bone marrow samples will be obtained to study whether chemotherapy amplifies the proportion of hematopoietic cells containing the MDR-1 provirus. We will monitor the nadir blood counts of each patient receiving salvage chemotherapy for evidence of myeloprotection and correlate this data with changes in the mean proviral copy number. Sites of relapsed tumor will be biopsied to test for the presence of the MDR-1 provirus.

AB - Retroviral Mediated Transfer of the Human Multidrug Resistance Gene (MDR-1) into Hematopoietic Stem Cells during Autologous Transplantation after Intensive Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer Patients with metastatic breast cancer will receive 4–5 cycles of induction chemotherapy on one of the ongoing Medicine Branch protocols. Patients achieving at least a partial response, and who do not have evidence of bone marrow involvement and who do not have metastatic bone disease, will undergo PBSC and bone marrow harvest when hematologic recovery has occurred. Patients who have not achieved a PR, but who are responding to therapy, may be treated with additional cycles of therapy in an attempt to achieve a PR. Such patients will be eligible for transplant if a PR is obtained. 70% of the bone marrow and PBSC will be cryopreserved. The CD34+ subpopulation from the remaining 30% of the bone marrow and PBSC harvest will be obtained using an anti-CD34+ antibody and immunoabsorption column. The bone marrow and peripheral blood CD34 cells will be transduced with a retroviral vector expressing the human MDR-1 cDNA. Patients with positive bone scans or histologic evidence of bone marrow involvement will be excluded from the gene transfer component of the protocol. The MDR-1 transduced CD34 cells will be reinfused along with the non-transduced bone marrow and PBSC into patients following high dose ICE chemotherapy. Serial peripheral blood and bone marrow samples will be obtained to study hematopoietic reconstitution with MDR-1 transduced cells. Patients with residual or progressive disease after ABMT will be treated with taxol or vinblastine. In these relapsed patients, peripheral blood and bone marrow samples will be obtained to study whether chemotherapy amplifies the proportion of hematopoietic cells containing the MDR-1 provirus. We will monitor the nadir blood counts of each patient receiving salvage chemotherapy for evidence of myeloprotection and correlate this data with changes in the mean proviral copy number. Sites of relapsed tumor will be biopsied to test for the presence of the MDR-1 provirus.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0027984922&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0027984922&partnerID=8YFLogxK

U2 - 10.1089/hum.1994.5.7-891

DO - 10.1089/hum.1994.5.7-891

M3 - Article

C2 - 7526902

AN - SCOPUS:0027984922

VL - 5

SP - 891

EP - 911

JO - Human Gene Therapy

JF - Human Gene Therapy

SN - 1043-0342

IS - 7

ER -