Prognostic significance of anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) protein expression in adults with anaplastic large cell lymphoma

Randy D. Gascoyne, Patricia Aoun, Daniel Wu, Mukesh Chhanabhai, Brian F. Skinnider, Timothy C. Greiner, Stephan W. Morris, Joseph M. Connors, Julie M. Vose, David S. Viswanatha, Andrew Coldman, Dennis D. Weisenburger

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

438 Citations (Scopus)

Abstract

Anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) is an aggressive lymphoma that is frequently associated with the t(2;5)(p23; q35), resulting in expression of a fusion protein, nucleophosmin-anaplastic lymphoma kinase (NPM-ALK), which can be detected by either monoclonal or polyclonal antibodies to the ALK protein. The clinical features of adults with ALCL are incompletely described, and the prognostic factors that are useful for predicting survival remain unclear. This report describes the clinical and laboratory findings in 70 adults with systemic ALCL who were treated with curative intent. We attempted to identify the clinical and pathological factors of prognostic importance, including the International Prognostic Index (IPI), immunophenotype, and expression of the ALK protein. The median age of the patients was 49 years (range, 15 to 75). There were 26 women and 44 men with a median follow-up of 50 months for living patients. Advanced stage was present in 56% and B symptoms were noted in 70% of the patients. Immunostains showed that 46% of the cases had a T- cell phenotype, 36% a null phenotype, and 18% a B-cell phenotype. The expression of ALK protein was found in 51% of the cases. The IPI factors were evenly distributed between the ALK+ and ALK- groups, except that the ALK+ patients were younger (median age, 30 v61 years; P < .002). The ALK+ cohort included cases with null (44%), T-cell (42%), and B-cell (14%) phenotypes. All 10 cases with cytogenetic or molecular evidence of a t(2;5) were ALK+. The 5-year overall survival (OS) of the entire cohort was 65%. The 5-year OS of the ALK+ and ALK- cases was 79% and 46%, respectively (P < .0003). Analysis of only the T-cell/null cases (n = 57) showed a 5-year OS of 93% for the ALK+ cases and only 37% for the ALK- cases (P < .00001). Univariate analysis of the clinical features showed that age ≤ 60 years (P < .007), a normal serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) (P < .00001), a good performance status (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group [ECOG] <2) (P < .03), ≤1 extranodal site of disease (P < .012), and an IPI score ≤3 (P < .00001) were associated with improved OS. Although a younger age correlated with ALK positivity, multivariate analysis showed that only a normal serum LDH (P < .00001), an IPI score of ≤3 (P < .0005), and ALK protein expression (P < .005) predicted independently for an improved OS. We conclude that ALCL is a heterogeneous disorder. However, ALK protein expression is an independent predictor of survival and serves as a useful biologic marker of a specific disease entity within the spectrum of ALCL.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)3913-3921
Number of pages9
JournalBlood
Volume93
Issue number11
StatePublished - Jun 1 1999

Fingerprint

Anaplastic Large-Cell Lymphoma
Proteins
T-cells
Survival
Phenotype
anaplastic lymphoma kinase
T-Lymphocytes
L-Lactate Dehydrogenase
B-Lymphocytes
Cells
Oncology

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry
  • Immunology
  • Hematology
  • Cell Biology

Cite this

Gascoyne, R. D., Aoun, P., Wu, D., Chhanabhai, M., Skinnider, B. F., Greiner, T. C., ... Weisenburger, D. D. (1999). Prognostic significance of anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) protein expression in adults with anaplastic large cell lymphoma. Blood, 93(11), 3913-3921.

Prognostic significance of anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) protein expression in adults with anaplastic large cell lymphoma. / Gascoyne, Randy D.; Aoun, Patricia; Wu, Daniel; Chhanabhai, Mukesh; Skinnider, Brian F.; Greiner, Timothy C.; Morris, Stephan W.; Connors, Joseph M.; Vose, Julie M.; Viswanatha, David S.; Coldman, Andrew; Weisenburger, Dennis D.

In: Blood, Vol. 93, No. 11, 01.06.1999, p. 3913-3921.

Research output: Contribution to journalArticle

Gascoyne, RD, Aoun, P, Wu, D, Chhanabhai, M, Skinnider, BF, Greiner, TC, Morris, SW, Connors, JM, Vose, JM, Viswanatha, DS, Coldman, A & Weisenburger, DD 1999, 'Prognostic significance of anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) protein expression in adults with anaplastic large cell lymphoma', Blood, vol. 93, no. 11, pp. 3913-3921.
Gascoyne, Randy D. ; Aoun, Patricia ; Wu, Daniel ; Chhanabhai, Mukesh ; Skinnider, Brian F. ; Greiner, Timothy C. ; Morris, Stephan W. ; Connors, Joseph M. ; Vose, Julie M. ; Viswanatha, David S. ; Coldman, Andrew ; Weisenburger, Dennis D. / Prognostic significance of anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) protein expression in adults with anaplastic large cell lymphoma. In: Blood. 1999 ; Vol. 93, No. 11. pp. 3913-3921.
@article{af4cde69a585474b9d61854f909c0d13,
title = "Prognostic significance of anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) protein expression in adults with anaplastic large cell lymphoma",
abstract = "Anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) is an aggressive lymphoma that is frequently associated with the t(2;5)(p23; q35), resulting in expression of a fusion protein, nucleophosmin-anaplastic lymphoma kinase (NPM-ALK), which can be detected by either monoclonal or polyclonal antibodies to the ALK protein. The clinical features of adults with ALCL are incompletely described, and the prognostic factors that are useful for predicting survival remain unclear. This report describes the clinical and laboratory findings in 70 adults with systemic ALCL who were treated with curative intent. We attempted to identify the clinical and pathological factors of prognostic importance, including the International Prognostic Index (IPI), immunophenotype, and expression of the ALK protein. The median age of the patients was 49 years (range, 15 to 75). There were 26 women and 44 men with a median follow-up of 50 months for living patients. Advanced stage was present in 56{\%} and B symptoms were noted in 70{\%} of the patients. Immunostains showed that 46{\%} of the cases had a T- cell phenotype, 36{\%} a null phenotype, and 18{\%} a B-cell phenotype. The expression of ALK protein was found in 51{\%} of the cases. The IPI factors were evenly distributed between the ALK+ and ALK- groups, except that the ALK+ patients were younger (median age, 30 v61 years; P < .002). The ALK+ cohort included cases with null (44{\%}), T-cell (42{\%}), and B-cell (14{\%}) phenotypes. All 10 cases with cytogenetic or molecular evidence of a t(2;5) were ALK+. The 5-year overall survival (OS) of the entire cohort was 65{\%}. The 5-year OS of the ALK+ and ALK- cases was 79{\%} and 46{\%}, respectively (P < .0003). Analysis of only the T-cell/null cases (n = 57) showed a 5-year OS of 93{\%} for the ALK+ cases and only 37{\%} for the ALK- cases (P < .00001). Univariate analysis of the clinical features showed that age ≤ 60 years (P < .007), a normal serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) (P < .00001), a good performance status (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group [ECOG] <2) (P < .03), ≤1 extranodal site of disease (P < .012), and an IPI score ≤3 (P < .00001) were associated with improved OS. Although a younger age correlated with ALK positivity, multivariate analysis showed that only a normal serum LDH (P < .00001), an IPI score of ≤3 (P < .0005), and ALK protein expression (P < .005) predicted independently for an improved OS. We conclude that ALCL is a heterogeneous disorder. However, ALK protein expression is an independent predictor of survival and serves as a useful biologic marker of a specific disease entity within the spectrum of ALCL.",
author = "Gascoyne, {Randy D.} and Patricia Aoun and Daniel Wu and Mukesh Chhanabhai and Skinnider, {Brian F.} and Greiner, {Timothy C.} and Morris, {Stephan W.} and Connors, {Joseph M.} and Vose, {Julie M.} and Viswanatha, {David S.} and Andrew Coldman and Weisenburger, {Dennis D.}",
year = "1999",
month = "6",
day = "1",
language = "English (US)",
volume = "93",
pages = "3913--3921",
journal = "Blood",
issn = "0006-4971",
publisher = "American Society of Hematology",
number = "11",

}

TY - JOUR

T1 - Prognostic significance of anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) protein expression in adults with anaplastic large cell lymphoma

AU - Gascoyne, Randy D.

AU - Aoun, Patricia

AU - Wu, Daniel

AU - Chhanabhai, Mukesh

AU - Skinnider, Brian F.

AU - Greiner, Timothy C.

AU - Morris, Stephan W.

AU - Connors, Joseph M.

AU - Vose, Julie M.

AU - Viswanatha, David S.

AU - Coldman, Andrew

AU - Weisenburger, Dennis D.

PY - 1999/6/1

Y1 - 1999/6/1

N2 - Anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) is an aggressive lymphoma that is frequently associated with the t(2;5)(p23; q35), resulting in expression of a fusion protein, nucleophosmin-anaplastic lymphoma kinase (NPM-ALK), which can be detected by either monoclonal or polyclonal antibodies to the ALK protein. The clinical features of adults with ALCL are incompletely described, and the prognostic factors that are useful for predicting survival remain unclear. This report describes the clinical and laboratory findings in 70 adults with systemic ALCL who were treated with curative intent. We attempted to identify the clinical and pathological factors of prognostic importance, including the International Prognostic Index (IPI), immunophenotype, and expression of the ALK protein. The median age of the patients was 49 years (range, 15 to 75). There were 26 women and 44 men with a median follow-up of 50 months for living patients. Advanced stage was present in 56% and B symptoms were noted in 70% of the patients. Immunostains showed that 46% of the cases had a T- cell phenotype, 36% a null phenotype, and 18% a B-cell phenotype. The expression of ALK protein was found in 51% of the cases. The IPI factors were evenly distributed between the ALK+ and ALK- groups, except that the ALK+ patients were younger (median age, 30 v61 years; P < .002). The ALK+ cohort included cases with null (44%), T-cell (42%), and B-cell (14%) phenotypes. All 10 cases with cytogenetic or molecular evidence of a t(2;5) were ALK+. The 5-year overall survival (OS) of the entire cohort was 65%. The 5-year OS of the ALK+ and ALK- cases was 79% and 46%, respectively (P < .0003). Analysis of only the T-cell/null cases (n = 57) showed a 5-year OS of 93% for the ALK+ cases and only 37% for the ALK- cases (P < .00001). Univariate analysis of the clinical features showed that age ≤ 60 years (P < .007), a normal serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) (P < .00001), a good performance status (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group [ECOG] <2) (P < .03), ≤1 extranodal site of disease (P < .012), and an IPI score ≤3 (P < .00001) were associated with improved OS. Although a younger age correlated with ALK positivity, multivariate analysis showed that only a normal serum LDH (P < .00001), an IPI score of ≤3 (P < .0005), and ALK protein expression (P < .005) predicted independently for an improved OS. We conclude that ALCL is a heterogeneous disorder. However, ALK protein expression is an independent predictor of survival and serves as a useful biologic marker of a specific disease entity within the spectrum of ALCL.

AB - Anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) is an aggressive lymphoma that is frequently associated with the t(2;5)(p23; q35), resulting in expression of a fusion protein, nucleophosmin-anaplastic lymphoma kinase (NPM-ALK), which can be detected by either monoclonal or polyclonal antibodies to the ALK protein. The clinical features of adults with ALCL are incompletely described, and the prognostic factors that are useful for predicting survival remain unclear. This report describes the clinical and laboratory findings in 70 adults with systemic ALCL who were treated with curative intent. We attempted to identify the clinical and pathological factors of prognostic importance, including the International Prognostic Index (IPI), immunophenotype, and expression of the ALK protein. The median age of the patients was 49 years (range, 15 to 75). There were 26 women and 44 men with a median follow-up of 50 months for living patients. Advanced stage was present in 56% and B symptoms were noted in 70% of the patients. Immunostains showed that 46% of the cases had a T- cell phenotype, 36% a null phenotype, and 18% a B-cell phenotype. The expression of ALK protein was found in 51% of the cases. The IPI factors were evenly distributed between the ALK+ and ALK- groups, except that the ALK+ patients were younger (median age, 30 v61 years; P < .002). The ALK+ cohort included cases with null (44%), T-cell (42%), and B-cell (14%) phenotypes. All 10 cases with cytogenetic or molecular evidence of a t(2;5) were ALK+. The 5-year overall survival (OS) of the entire cohort was 65%. The 5-year OS of the ALK+ and ALK- cases was 79% and 46%, respectively (P < .0003). Analysis of only the T-cell/null cases (n = 57) showed a 5-year OS of 93% for the ALK+ cases and only 37% for the ALK- cases (P < .00001). Univariate analysis of the clinical features showed that age ≤ 60 years (P < .007), a normal serum lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) (P < .00001), a good performance status (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group [ECOG] <2) (P < .03), ≤1 extranodal site of disease (P < .012), and an IPI score ≤3 (P < .00001) were associated with improved OS. Although a younger age correlated with ALK positivity, multivariate analysis showed that only a normal serum LDH (P < .00001), an IPI score of ≤3 (P < .0005), and ALK protein expression (P < .005) predicted independently for an improved OS. We conclude that ALCL is a heterogeneous disorder. However, ALK protein expression is an independent predictor of survival and serves as a useful biologic marker of a specific disease entity within the spectrum of ALCL.

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?scp=0033151520&partnerID=8YFLogxK

UR - http://www.scopus.com/inward/citedby.url?scp=0033151520&partnerID=8YFLogxK

M3 - Article

C2 - 10339500

AN - SCOPUS:0033151520

VL - 93

SP - 3913

EP - 3921

JO - Blood

JF - Blood

SN - 0006-4971

IS - 11

ER -